Thursday 17 April 2014

RULES vs ORDERS

If anyone has read my book:
then you will quickly understand why English is considered my second language.

My old English teachers could never quite figure out what my primary language was. Speaking was okay but writing was a whole other adventure, shall we say. It is quite funny as I explain it in the book but, that's not what I am writing about.

What I am trying to explain are RULES and ORDERS.

ORDERS, are commands given to a Military person. You are to do exactly what you are ORDERED to do. If ORDERS are violated (not followed) disciplinary action is taken.

RULES, such as those used in the English language are to be followed for the writing of text so the reader is not confused by the meaning of what was written.

Since I started this case in 1997, I have had to bone up on my writing skills quite a bit. It was a surprise to me as I read through the dictionary, the plurals for different types of animals.

Everyone knows a:

1. A Heard of Cows

2. A Flock of Geese

But did you know the name for a group of Owls or Baboons?

Owls, presumably because they look so wise, are referred to as a,"Congress of Owls."
Baboons are the loudest, most dangerous, most obnoxious, most viciously aggressive and least intelligent of all primates. A group of Baboons is called, believe it or not,"A Parliament."

No comments:

Post a Comment