Sunday 3 November 2013

FOR MENTAL HEALTH ADVOCATES ACROSS CANADA

To all those who have and are devoting your valuable time and efforts, I just wanted to give you a little insight into how the Canadian Human Right's legislation is applied to mentally disabled Veterans. Here is an example letter that is being sent to groups and organizations who are working for the mentally disabled.

To Whom It May Concern; I will keep this short. I have a case in at Human Right's Canada. It involves the Act itself.

My case number at HRC is i1301294, in Ottawa.

I have a VAC confirmed diagnosis of: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder and PTSD.

I have a court case against The Gov of Canada (DND). Due to my mental condition, I am unable to represent myself. I asked the HRC to provide a lawyer to me because of my unique situation under the Charter of Right's (Mentally Disabled). After my initial filing in May 2013 their answer was no because the Federal Court is not Federal and not covered under the legislation. I received a second no because the form had one small omission on it and finally after two tries to get the information included in the form, I now understand that, a Mental Disability is not a "disability", under their (HRC) definition. It is now almost 7 months later, November 2013.

There is an exemption clause in the Act which does apply but I can't get HRC to respond with a clear answer.

Can you help?

A Loyal Canadian Wounded Veteran
Captain (Ret'd) Michael Cole, CD1

No comments:

Post a Comment